Saturday 17 March 2007

Who to blame? Media or Parents?

There are always arguement that the cause of underage sex and pregnancy. Some said we should blame the media for giving wrong concept of underage sex, and some said that the parents shorld be the person to blame because they did not educated them properly.
I read a news with the topic said "Sex at 14, blame it on her parents" which said teenagers having sex was mainly because that their parents are divorce and most of the time that their parents are not around. The other one said there might be a link that teenagers are having sex should blame the media which they usually portrayed sex as "risk free".
For me, I have another way of thinking. Teenagers are now getting mature earlier and they are curious about sex, but the fact that is they are shy to ask their parents. I one asked my friend Doyin if she would asked her parents about sex, she told me that is "embarresing", she prefer to ask their friends about it.
One of my friend Rav, she has two daughters. Her 5 years-old child aksed her that "where does baby come from?", this is a question which made her struggle to answer and keep thinking about it the whole day. This is just a normal question which does not really realated to sex, but it seems to her that it is already difficult to answer. So, I think that it might be difficult for parents to answer these kind of question as well.
As for media, it might be true that they sometimes portrayed sex as "risk free", but the point is if your child saw sex scenes on the programmes, maybe parents should be the main person to guide and explain to their children about the situation. So, I don't really think that media should really be blame.
Moreover, I also don't think that parents should be blame as well, because this is only a conflict of communication between parents and teenagers. Both sides of them are struggling to ask or answer the question.

No comments: